By modifying your Windows hosts file, you can point your browser to a different server just for you. Other users on the internet will still view the website on the original IP address. This is useful in case you want to debug the website on an other server.
- Click on the Start menu and search for Notepad.
- Right click on Notepad and execute the application as Administrator.
- Grant permission to Windows.
- Click on File and choose Open.
- Enter the filename C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and click on Open.
- Enter the server's IP address on a new row along with the domain name. Example:
- Click on File and click on Save.
In case you want to reverse the modified Windows hosts file, use the same steps but remove the row(s) in step 6 instead of removing them.